Chere
famille,
I'm not sure that anything that happened this
week at all relates to King('s) Cross Station, but, alas, I thought of HP and
so that is the title of this email, though not necessarily the subject. Obviously, since it is in another
country. How does Dumbledore say it in
the 7th book when he's talking to Harry?
I can't remember--it must be too worldly. :)
This week a
lot of our appointments fell through, but we were blessed to meet up with
people that we haven't seen or talked to in a while. Heavenly Father works in incredible and
mysterious ways, doesn't He? OH! I went to a baptism for the first time as a
missionary on Saturday! She is nine
years old and was taught by the elders in Ithaca, but we went and took our
"undercover investigator" (she's undercover because she is hesitant
about actually meeting with the missionaries even after going to church and
reading the literature for months--she has legitimate concerns that are
pertinent to her situation) and it was awesome.
Baptism is essential for our salvation!
We HAVE to be baptized by the proper power and authority of God to be
able to live with Him after this life!
Please, I know that you have been in the Church for many years, but it
is so important that we understand how important these basic principles
are. That is why we are always hearing
that we should be studying Preach My Gospel as members of the Church, because
it contains the basics, and we can learn again as we study WHY we believe, HOW
we believe, WHAT we believe. Good grief,
this Gospel is so important. What other
adjective can I use? It is absolutely
essential for ALL of us. It is our duty
and responsibility as members of Christ's church, and joint-heirs with Christ,
to help other people understand the necessity and pertinence of His
Gospel. It doesn't have to be this huge,
scary thing, talking to nonmember friends or family about the Gospel. Do you love them? Right, then sharing what you believe with
that someone whom you love should be simpler.
Conversations about the Gospel can be introduced by talking about family
history--I learned about that this week. :)
The Spirit of Elijah is real, and feeling that spirit allows us to come
closer to God and feel His Spirit more fully.
So talking to people about their family history, their ancestors, where
they come from--it all helps them, and us, to feel the Spirit and feel the
importance of ancestry. We are linked to
Christ through our ancestors. Missionary
work and family history work are not separate--they are distinctly one. Both relate to the present time.
Woah, now that I've stepped down from my soap
box...mormon.org is awesome. Have I
talked to you about it before? There are
so many great videos about people all over the world in many varied
circumstances, with many personalities, who talk about their belief in Christ
and how that belief has helped them. You
should probably check it out. :)
Oh, I'll tell a story. One of our investigators (I'm going to start
calling them friends) didn't show up to our appointment after the baptism on
Saturday, so we rode back to our home with the Timothys (the CES missionaries). And then we found out that one of our recent
converts had had a family emergency and needed us to talk to and comfort
her. If we had been in that meeting with
our friend, we would not have had the time to be there for this strong lady,
and she really did need support. That is
just ONE miracle from this week.
Heavenly Father looks out for His children--He knows when we need help,
and if we're doing those right things that He's told us we need to do, then He
will ABSOLUTELY send help. As we show Him
that we are trying to help ourselves as we ask for assistance from Him, don't
you think He'd be more willing and ready to grant us that assistance? Yes.
In answer to your question, Mother, yes I did
receive the box! I was so excited to get
it! And guess what--Sister T got one
that day, too! (It was on
Saturday). We didn't have time to open
our boxes when we found them outside our home, but when we were walking back at
a time that we thought we could open them (it turned out that we didn't have time
then, either), I almost sprinted back home.
Uncharacteristic of me, I know.
Anyway, we were very glad to have them.
Sister T says thank you, Mom, for taking care of us physically. :) The cds and Triscuts were a most beloved
surprise! Thank you, thank you!
DANIELLE IS
GETTING MARRIED THIS WEEK!! Woah. That's crazy!
I am so so so excited! I received
the announcement/invitation in the mail this last week and I almost wept with
joy! (I didn't because I'm learning to
keep my weeping to a minimum; we'll see how this education turns out). I did squeal.
Many times. Yes, please take some
photos; I'd love to see their joyful faces and beautiful raiment. Give Robin a big ol' hug, Mom, yeah? And Clarissa.
And Danielle, of course. And you
can probably just shake Dave's hand, though I'm not sure what he'll
prefer. He might try a hug.
Sister T is
a way better cook than I am. You'd think
I'd be able to work some magic in the kitchen by now, wouldn't you, Dad? Apparently I haven't been very teachable. Anyway, we did make tacos and spagetti this
week, which was just marvelous. We have
many dinner appointments planned this month with members--they are so generous! I tell you what! You should have the sisters over some time
for dinner; it really improves relations between the members and
missionaries. And having that gap
minimized is important so we can ALL do missionary work! Yay!
What else
can I tell you? It was about 8 degrees
one day last week, and I thought my cheeks and nose would never feel
again. But it was only one day and now
we can handle 30 degree weather much better.
I love you
so so much! It's hard to believe that
you aren't just a phone call away anymore, but we must press on. I love you and miss you!
Love for
always,
Sister Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment