Dear family and friends,
It was such a blessing to focus on
the Savior this week during my study time. I read about the Resurrection in the
Bible Dictionary, the accounts in Mark and John about Christ's last days on
earth, watched "The Lamb of God" over and over again (actually, we
only watched it in our appointments, but we really did watch it over and over
again), the revelation Joseph F. Smith received in D&C 138 about our Savior
ministering to the righteous souls in the spirit world before He was
resurrected...What a great opportunity it is to be able to learn more about our
Savior's life, His character, His Gospel, His truths. I feel ashamed for not
focusing more on the Savior's life in studying the scriptures before now. It's
pretty inexcusable considering I've been going to church my whole life and
Seminary for 4 years in high school, reading the scriptures on my own for 7 or
8 years, taking religion classes in which the study is focused on the
scriptures for 2 years....It's just sad. The Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine
& Covenants, Pearl of Great Price...All of these precious tools are given
to us to learn more of our Lord and Redeemer, our Savior Jesus Christ, and how
often do we focus strictly on Him? True, sometimes it's important to focus on
principles and attributes that will help you grow as you study, but it's been
an incredible experience to focus more on the Savior and His mercy, because He
is "the light, and the life, and the truth" (Ether 4:12). He is the
only way to eternal, lasting joy, to being clean, to becoming perfect. He
provided everything for each of us. Wow.
It sounds like you had a fabulous
time in South Carolina! Boy, it must have been great. What a beautiful place to
spend a week for Spring Break and Easter! It's too bad you weren't able to
attend church on Sunday! Sister Takapu and I participated in the branch choir
for the Easter program on Sunday--one of the sisters in the branch has a very
musically talented father who arranged a rendition of "I Know that My
Redeemer Lives" and she tweaked it a little bit and conducted us in the
singing of it. :) It is absolutely beautiful. So many parts, so much blending,
so much goodness, oh boy. It was a great song to be singing on Easter when we
celebrate what we know--that Jesus Christ, our Redeemer, lives. A couple of
people came to church yesterday who aren't members of the Church and so we were
able to meet them, and hopefully we'll be able to answer questions they have
and talk to them more about what we believe, and impart the importance of it to
them. Member referrals are so great! We can't talk to everyone, even though we
try, so it's wonderful when members of the Church introduce us to people that
they know who are interested in learning more. I firmly believe that we all
know people who are more prepared and receptive to the messages we teach simply
because they know us and that we believe. If it's nothing more than curiosity,
it's enough. We had dinner yesterday with a family from the ward who have 4
cute, intelligent, red-headed kiddies, and we discussed how we (members of
Christ's restored Church) are a very small percentage of the world's
population. And of the members of the church that make up that percentage, a
smaller amount and percent is active in the Church. And of THAT smaller
percent, how many members are full-time missionaries? The work I am doing as a
full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is
great, because every soul is of great worth (D&C 18:10), but it's not
enough, as President Hinckley said. We're trying to enlist the help of all of
the members here in Ithaca, but this is only one little place. This Gospel
needs to be taken to all of the world--NO ONE IS OUT OF THE REACH OF OUR
SAVIOR'S ATONEMENT. So we just need to expand our reach. :)
At Friday Forum (for the LDSSA at
Cornell where we have a discussion about gospel-related topics and an article,
and free, delicious lunch) last week a friend of one of the branch members came
(he comes quite often, actually, and is very Christian) and I was reminded by
him that I shouldn't let my weaknesses become an excuse for me not excelling or
achieving the expectations I have for myself and our Heavenly Father has for
me. I don't want to be someone that only coasts along, as I've been wont to do
so often in my life. Haha. This life is precious and is a gift for me--for all
of us--to learn and become more like Christ, more like our Father. How long
does this life last? About 90 years if we're blessed with that amount of time?
It's not eternally "worth it" to give in to laziness now, to satisfy
my fatigue or selfishness or pride or whatever, because the benefits of living
righteously and sacrificing my own selfish wants FAR OUTWEIGH the costs of
those sacrifices. I just have to remember the end goal, here--eternal life,
living with my family forever, living with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ
forever, obtaining a celestial body, inheriting the kingdom of God, joy, peace,
EVERYTHING is to be gained. So I must "pray always" (D&C
10:5--this is a really good one, by the way).
We helped one of the ladies who was
recently baptized organize her jewelry this week--it was great! Remember how
much I like to look at your jewelry, Mom? Well, this sister has a lot of cool
jewelry, too--earrings, bracelets (I learned that tennis bracelets are not just
athletic sweat bands), necklaces, watches, rings, brooches (is that right?),
you name it. She even gave me a REALLY awesome pair of Merlin earrings, with
little men holding a crystal ball! I can't wait to wear them in 1 & 1/2
years!
Our little teaching pool has receded
like the rivers running through the Ithaca gorges, because a few people have
kind of faded out of communication, so we've been trying to find some more
people who are searching for the truth. And within the past...3 days we have
heard of many different people who possibly want to learn more. The Lord
is so aware of the people here. Yes, many of them are very intelligent and
might be prone to discount God's hand in their lives, but there are also many
who are ready to accept the truth of His love, His guidance, His visible
(though not literally visible) hand.
Well, I love you! I'm glad to hear
that the trip was so SWEET! Until next week, my beloveds.
Love for always,
Sister Smith
P.S. We found an AWESOME waterfall
this weekend! It's smaller than others, and it's kind of hidden away from the
road, but...oh man...when we ventured in (not into the water, but down the path
that wasn't really a "path") and saw all of the beauty...It was an
incredible blessing to remember the "beauty of the earth" and the
Lord's hand in providing it for us. Maybe I'll send pictures next week in the
email; I can't this week, because I forgot the cord at home. :) Just wait 'til
you see it.
No comments:
Post a Comment