Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving letter

Dear Family,
I need to first apologize for not using a correct term in my email last week--THERMOMETERS measure temperature, not barometers...Thanks, Dad.
There's so much to tell you! Sister Castaneda and I had a great week! The highlight was probably going to the training meeting on Thursday, with two men from the Missionary Department in SLC. I learned so much. I felt like the training was what I needed to feel better equipped to bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the hearts of the people in this area. Brother Donaldson and Brother Glazier teamed up with President Wirthlin, and I'll just share what my favorite part of the training was. I think it can be best introduced by Doctrine and Covenants 84:19-22 (this section talks about the Melchizedek Priesthood which was given to Adam and all of the prophets since, to bless all mankind):
19 And this greater apriesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the bkey of the cmysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the dknowledge of God.
20 Therefore, in the aordinances thereof, the power of bgodliness is manifest.
21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the aauthority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is bnot manifest unto men in the flesh;
22 For without this no aman can see the face of God, even the Father, and live.
Brother Donaldson's training on this principle, that the PRIESTHOOD is needed to administer the ordinances which are uncompromisingly necessary for our living with God and obtaining His kingdom, His happiness, His life, has totally changed me. The doctrine of Christ, of the "Anointed One," is the plan of how we become like our Father in Heaven (which was His design from the beginning). Faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end...this is how we return to the presence of our Father. And it's not possible, cannot be completed, or have a hope of success, without the power of God that He GAVE to man, so that everything would work--the priesthood is the "key of the mysteries of the kingdom"--it's the key to performing lasting and saving and necessary ordinances. More than this training on the priesthood, though, I learned more about the Atonement of Christ, how He suffered and overcame all so that we can be lifted up, cleansed, made ready for the Father's inheritance, receive forgiveness of our many sins...We cannot access that Atonement of Christ without doing those things that He's told us we need to to be fit to receive the blessings He's made available. These people that we talk to every day cannot experience the sanctification and peace and POWER of the Atonement without Christ's doctrine. He's given us a type of equation to get to the solution of the power of His Atonement--that equation is the gospel, the doctrine. I am here to help people come closer to Christ, because I know that all happiness lies with Him and the comfort He has promised us. I feel a greater sense of urgency after the training, to help these children of God in the Utica (ish) area. Jesus Christ overcame the world FOR THE WORLD. The Atonement wasn't made for just a select few--it was made for all, so we have a great responsibility to make it available to all by inviting them to partake of the gospel of Christ. I really feel like my eyes are open--with the focus of my service here now on Christ's Atonement, I feel like everything has changed. Just talking to the people who answer their doors isn't enough. Just working with members on the other side of the country is not enough. "Glory, glory, glory!" (I'm quoting a great song the Tabernacle Choir sings, it may be a hymn...)
Anyway, I wanted to share that with you, because it really has totally changed my week, my month, my transfer, my mission, my life...you name it. So, at the meeting I was reunited for a blissful lunch hour with Sister Palmer. Needless to say, that made my week, too. She's finally leaving Ithaca to serve with.....SISTER HORNE in ALBANY! Isn't that funny? It's the only "transfer prediction" I made and it totally was right. Sister Castaneda and I are staying here for her last transfer in the NYUM--oh, I also predicted that. :)
Thank you for the great box of goodies and gifts for Sonja! We haven't been able to see her yet, because she's so busy with school things, but when we give them to her I'm sure she'll be super excited.
A wonderful, hilarious, most loved member in the ward gave each of us beautiful scarves that we've been wearing kind of non-stop since we got them. And I held more itty bitty baby chihuahuas. We're trying to spread Thanksgiving cheer, and gearing up for Christmas as well. "I wish every day could be like Christmas" (remember that song, Mom?...).
We met a great older man at McDonald's, where we were eating a delicious dinner, and he's a former FBI officer, and now works as a security guard. We were definitely supposed to be at McD's at that time so he could ask us questions and get information about the church in Whitesboro. I'm not kidding. It was a miracle that we were there. Heavenly Father is aware of EVERYONE.
I don't know what else to say other than I am so so thankful for you, my sweet family! I am thankful for the upbringing I had and for the many opportunities I was given (and continue to be given) to develop talents. I am thankful to have been raised with knowledge of God and His Son, His plan, His love. I am thankful for the wonderful people who have influenced who I've become. I am thankful for great friends (inside the family and out) who've helped me stick to God's standards, and the knowledge I have of His expectations. I am so thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am thankful for His love and His sacrifice that has made everything possible for me and for all of my loved ones and neighbors. I am thankful for the opportunity I have right now to share full-time this "good news" with others.
I love you to eternity! I love you for always,
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment