Monday, June 10, 2013

Final letter as a missionary....June 10, 2013

Hard to believe this is the last letter from our sweet Sister Smith.  As her mom, I've done a horrible job in updating her blog.  I apologize profusely!  Ashley has been an incredible missionary...I don't say this because I am biased...I say this because it's a direct quote from her mission president!  We anticipate that this transition from a full-time missionary back into 'life' as we know it, to be a bit challenging for her.  She has LOVED this experience!  Please don't hesitate to contact her!  Her homecoming talk will be June 23, 2013 at 9:00 am.  The address and more info to come!

I guess I appreciate the hymn, "God Be with You Till We Meet Again," even if it makes me choke up.  It's like asking a blessing on those we're leaving!
 
I don't really know what to write to you this week.  I feel kind of stunned, sitting here at the Gouverneur Public Library.  I've been bouncing back and forth between feeling like I'm just being transferred to a new area in the mission and feeling like I'm going to die (exaggeration) or have an anxiety attack because I'm leaving the mission in just a few days.  It's surreal.  It hasn't REALLY been 18 months, has it? 
 
There is much to do. :)
 
The temple was so wonderful.  I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father makes sacred covenants with us in His Holy House.  The tours were great, and I felt the Spirit all day, and I learned a lot about Church history, but I really wish that I could have spent more time in the temple, just to think and to pray and to feel.  It's okay--there will be time for that.  And it was enough.  I realized as I spent some quiet time in the Sacred Grove that I didn't need to visit the Sacred Grove to gain a testimony, to KNOW that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith over 100 years ago.  I already know that.  I feel that, I believe it.  But it was a very strengthening and sacred experience to be in the place that it occurred.  Heavenly Father knows each of His children and He helps each of us.  Isn't it amazing that He is sending His emissaries in such force and magnitude to fill the earth?  This time is so important in the Lord's plan.  We are gathering Israel--how magnificent!  His promises endure, and we are blessed to be a part of the fulfillment of His promise to His covenant people.  We are blessed to bring His covenants to the rest of His children!  NONE of it is possible without the Lord, because this is not the work of man.  The rewards are not the rewards of this earth.  Only He can do this, and it's been rolling forth as a stone cut without hands since His gospel, authority, and revelation was restored through Joseph Smith.  How great is our Almighty King!
 
Sister Acton and I were discussing the principle of charity and its ability to divide without diminishing.  Because it comes from God.  Perfect love and the love of Christ--that can only come from God, and He is Endless.  The people in the New York Utica Mission have divided my love--non-members, members, and missionaries alike.  I will love these people forever and for always. :)  And I feel like I never want to quit helping them, because I love them so much.  Isn't there more that I can do here?  It'll just be done in a different capacity.  And I infinitely love YOU, so I want to come and help you as much as I can.  I pray that I will be shown what I can do.  So I'll need to keep the Spirit (2 Nephi 32:5)!  Will you help me keep the Spirit in such great closeness?  It will take diligence and I will still need to stay out of Babylon. :)  Our Father has made covenants with us and He will fulfil His promises as we are faithful and diligent in fulfilling ours. 
 
If we could all really understand our Father's plan, and our eternal and divine destinies, it would change so much.  These wonderful brothers and sisters here in Gouverneur, and all over the world--if they could look through eyes of faith beyond this temporal existence, then how much would change!  There is more than our everyday plans.  There is so much more.  It just reminds me of a great scripture that we memorized when President Bulloch was here:
Doctrine & Covenants 123:12-14, 17 
12 For there are many yet on the earth among all sects, parties, and denominations, who are blinded by the subtle craftiness of men, whereby they lie in wait to deceive, and who are only kept from the truth because they know not where to find it—
 13 Therefore, that we should waste and wear out our lives in bringing to light all the hidden things of darkness, wherein we know them; and they are truly manifest from heaven—
 14 These should then be attended to with great earnestness.
 17 Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.
I'll see you soon!  I LOVE YOU FOR ALWAYS!
Sister Smith
 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister Smith,
    My name’s Brie Johnson. We met in April of last year while you were serving your mission in Ithaca at Cornell University with Sister Tapaku. You probably don’t remember me at all. I was only in town for a few days. I’m from Utah but I’d been accepted to Cornell so had come up to New York to check out the campus and see if that was really where I wanted to go for school. Since I’m a member of the church I visited the institute and ward while I was there to see what it would all be like and that’s where we met.
    I just wanted to thank you and Sister Tapaku for the love and light you showed me while I was there. You were both so wonderful to talk with and such great examples as missionaries. I really enjoyed the time I was able to spend with you. I’ll admit I found myself getting teary-eyed when I had to leave because I so looked up to you both, even after just a few days. Because of your example I left not wanting to go to Cornell, but really wanting to be a sister missionary so I could be just like you.
    I ended up attending BYU in Provo this past school year, but now that I’m 19 I will finally get to serve that mission. I’ve been called to the Honduras San Pedro Sula West Mission and I leave this August. I couldn’t be more excited! I just wanted to thank you so so much for your example. You really played a huge role in my decision to serve. I feel bad that it took me flying all the way to New York to get me focused on missionary work, but I’m so grateful you were there to do that for me. I feel I was destined to meet you for this reason. I can’t thank you enough! I’ve been trying to track you down to tell you thank you and sure enough found this blog. Sorry that’s a bit creepy, but good luck in whatever you choose to do next, and thank you always for your influence in my life. I hope to be just as wonderful as you in my service as a sister missionary. I hope to share as much light as I can with the people of Honduras.

    ReplyDelete