Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hi friends and family!  It has almost been one week since we literally dropped Sister Smith off at the MTC.  Such a bittersweet day to know she is doing one of the greatest things one can do while on this earth, yet...difficult as a family to send our missionaries on their way. When we pulled up to the curb, an Elder walked up and welcomed her, waited for Kevin to pull out her suitcases.  I told her I wouldn't get out of the car (they ask you not to) because I may just never let her go and I was a blubbering mess!  She gave Robbie and her dad a quick hug as the tears began to well up in her beautiful eyes.  She waved to me in the car as we quickly pulled away.  I watched her walk away until I could no longer see her... she was wiping her face and smiling at the same time.  I miss her presence but am so very grateful for Ashley's willingness to serve our Lord and Savior in a full-time capacity.

We received our first letter from Sister Smith last Saturday, which she wrote shortly after waking up the first day in the MTC.  She sounded tired but extremely energetic about all the day would bring.  She has two companions:  Sister Horne from Centerville, Utah and Sister Waterworth from Hisperia, California.  She loves them both and reports that she is the loud one, Sister Horne is 'medium' and Sister Waterworth is 'quiet'!  She assured us that she is learning and on her mission for good!  "Ready to sacrifice in my calling!"  That's a relief.  Course, I've learned through this process that I'm quite a selfish mother...what I wouldn't give for one more hug and to hear my little songbird singing in her room.


Our first email came this morning!  I will share it with all of you.  Before I do so, please know how grateful I am to each of you, family and friends.  She is tender in her feelings toward her family and loves and adores her friends.  You have impacted her life in all the best ways and I know that she wishes she had more time to write you all individually.  Much love to you!




No comments:

Post a Comment