Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Letter of Sept. 18th



Dear family,
Thank you so much for all of the emails and pictures (especially from you, Sarah)! Jordan Wertz is home! Oh hooray! I'm so sad that Nate passed away last week--the few interactions I have had with him were always positive ones. Nate's a nice young man. So much peace for him as he continues to progress in the spirit world! Please let the Shorts know my appreciation for them and for Nate's friendliness.
We didn't have our preparation day yesterday, which is why I'm emailing today. Elder Shane M. Bowen, of the First Quorum of the Seventy, visited our mission and we had a really incredible Zone Conference with him yesterday morning. Sister Castaneda and I actually met him on Sunday when he and Sister Bowen and President Wirthlin came to our apartment to see what kind of housing the missionaries in the NYUM enjoy. We'd magic erasered the walls and baseboards, vacuumed with deep cleaning powder stuff...Oh, we prepared for this visit. Anyway, it was really really neat to talk with them. They care so much and are so put together--a common phrase you heard all of the time in the MTC is "quiet dignity" to invite and keep the Spirit. That's how I felt they acted, quietly dignified. They served as mission president in the Spain Barcelona mission before and they know a lot about missionary work. Something I didn't realize, and something that Sister Castaneda reiterated this morning in companion study, is that members of the Quorum of the Seventy are ordained missionaries, basically. We're set apart, but they are ordained. Luke 10 talks about the original seventy that Jesus Christ called while He was in His earthly ministry. They were commanded to go and teach and perform works in the Lord's name. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has the same organization as the Primitive Church of Jesus Christ! Neat. So yes, Elder Bowen trained us yesterday and he focused on how we need to know who we are and where we come from in order to do what we're supposed to do. He specifically taught about the Abrahamic covenant, and how we are participants in that covenant because we are members of Christ's Church and thereby part of the House of Israel, who inherited the Abrahamic covenant. We also inherit the promises and responsibilities, the privileges of Abraham and his seed (because we are his seed). I don't know if this is confusing, but it was a great training. When we can see clearly the goal, the ultimate goal, then it's easier to stay diligent and faithful in accomplishing that goal. We have the incredible opportunity to take knowledge of our Redeemer and His plan to the world! And we have been given tools to help us do that! We've been given help! So what we need to do is...do it! Hahaha. Really, though. When we place "artificial limitations" (as he called them) on ourselves, then we halt the progress of the Lord's work for us. Elder Bowen emphasized that we are more capable than we think we are. The training has helped me to again refocus and determine to be more diligent. The more people we talk to, the better opportunity we'll have of finding those who are ready to act on the gospel they receive.
It's raining today. :)
We've been meeting with a couple in the ward who haven't come to church in a long while, and they are so wonderful. They love each other and they want to seal their marriage of 17 years in the temple. We've explained that the blessings of the temple are available to those who are valiant and obedient and that they'd need to become active in their church attendance so they can qualify for those blessings, in addition to the blessings of just coming to church! Namely, happiness and the Spirit... :) So last Monday we brought our ward mission leader with us to meet with them and he offered to give them a ride to church that Sunday, and they came to church! People greeted them, they stayed for all of the meetings, and things are awesome. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the endless opportunities to become better.
It was a good last week. I'm using up my NyQuil, but don't worry, I'll get more today. :) I'm going to be like the stripling warriors--"exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity...true at all times in whatsoever thing [I am] entrusted" (Alma 53:19).
I sure love you. I can't believe it's September 18th! Time is flying.
Well, well, I miss you, love you, and can't wait for Dec. 25!
Love for always,
Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment